Albacore Trolling Tips Marlin Trolling Tips Fluorocarbon Leader La Paz Shark Behavior Baja Estero de Coyote Thoughts On Trolling She's Toast Marine Stereo Installation Fishing Chef Fishful Thinking Smoke on the water.... The PainInTheAss Splashdancer Long Beach Aquarium Lure Rigging Reel Maintenance Outrigger Installation Two Knots to Go Morro Bay Albies 150# Yellowtail! 30# 'But on 8# Fishing the Iron Buying Used Catalina's West End Sharking DFG Shark Program Black Sea Bass White Seabass! Bottom Fishing Florida Jack Attack Florida 48' Offshore Repower Magging an Avet Accurate Servicing Combat Fishing Motion Sickness Fish Parasites White Seabass! Deep Water Rockfish Halibut Tricks Going for Mr. Cuda Catalina Frontside Swordfish & Lightsticks Shark Conservation Fishing The Wall Captain Jeff Marsilio on White Sea Bass and Catalina Island Seeker Seminar Spectra Rigging Max & Al Dasher Up

charke1sm.GIF (13536 bytes)

Fishermen's Journal


by Paul Carnes, M.D.


For the most part almost any cooked fished is safe to consume as long as it has been properly handled and prepared. Parasitic infections are most problematic when fish and shellfish are consumed in the raw state. This is not to say that eating either as "sashimi" isn't safe. If you do consume raw fish/shellfish make sure it's not a freshwater species. Believe it or not parasitic infections from freshwater fish/shellfish are very problematic in some parts of the world (e.g. Southeast Asia.)

There are over 50 helminthic infections from fish/shellfish (i.e. parasites that parasitizes the human gut) that can infect humans. How do we avoid becoming a "victim". Well for most the answer is just cook your fish (however other problems may still occur-see below). However for others, especially those who love sashimi (like me!) there are a couple of precautions you can take. I will discuss these a little bit later. Luckily most parasitic infections from ocean fish are rare. Pelagic fishes, such as tuna probably have the least amount of parasitic load. This is mainly due to their wide roaming migrations. This is because tuna, who are near the top of
the food chain, may consume prey that have parasites, but are not in an area long enough to ingest many prey that might have a high parasitic load. What this does is decrease the likelihood of becoming infected. There are however case reports of humans becoming infected with roundworms after ingesting raw Yellowfin tuna.  Homeguard fish are more likely to have parasites simply because they don't move around much. Thus they continue to consume prey that may have parasites. Juvenile or smaller fish also have less time to have become infected with parasites. Also fishes that grow quickly also have less time to pick up parasites.

There are some fish that can VERY problematic when it comes to parasites. These include fish that spend some of their time in brackish or freshwater, like salmon. A study a few years ago out of Seattle showed that 100% of wild caught salmon had roundworm larvae in their flesh (the type that might infect humans). The study also showed that farm raised salmon did not have any roundworm larvae in their flesh....something to consider the next time you order salmon at the sushi bar.

Fortunately there may be some saving grace. Besides being killed by heat (i.e. cooking) most parasites are killed by freezing the flesh. Another study out of Seattle a few years ago showed that despite quite a few parasites being found in samples from Sushi bars (again most were found in Salmon) the majority were already dead. Freezing the raw fish prior to preparation was thought to be a major reason the parasites were dead.

What are some of the symptoms of parasitic infections? For the most part any unusual gastrointestinal problem such as bloating, cramping, diarrhea or unusual bowel movements. What makes the diagnosis difficult is that the symptoms may occur many hours or days after the consumption of the fish/shellfish. Also many people may "write" off the symptoms simply as a case of the "stomach flu" or other short-lived stomach problem.

Besides parasites there are a couple of other illnesses that should be consider when consuming raw fish/shellfish. One is hepatitis A. This virus, which infects the liver, is transmitted because of unsanitary conditions, either because of where the fish/shellfish were captured (like in a bay or polluted area) or during preparation. Other infections that's possible are bacterial (e.g. Staphylococcus) and amoebic. Again these can occur because of unsanitary conditions.

Now that I've scared most of you sushi and sashimi lovers, what about other problems associated with consuming COOKED fish/shellfish. There are two types of fish/shellfish poisonings that people should be aware of: Scombroid fish and Ciguatera poisonings.

Scombroid poisoning occurs secondary to the bacterial transformation of histidine (an amino acid) to histamine in fish flesh. This can occur in inadequately refrigerated dark fleshed fish such as the tunas and mackerels. Typical symptoms are like an allergic reaction: skin flushing, headache, oral burning, cramps, nausea, diarrhea, and itching. Of note hives and low
blood pressure (hypotension) are rare. Symptoms usually occur 10 to 30 minutes after ingestion and may last 6 to 10 hours. Immediate treatment in a medical facility might be necessary. Antihistamines, such as Benadryl can be beneficial or live saving. Although I cannot prove it, I feel that a lot of reactions people have to fish are not because they are allergic to iodine, but in fact is because of Scombroid fish poisoning.

Another type of poisoning is called Ciguatera poisoning. This occurs when a fish/shellfish consumes prey that have in themselves consumed an algae that has toxins (e.g. red tide like algae). These toxins can be found in large semitropical or tropical homeguard or reef fishes such as yellowtail, barracuda, grouper and seabass. The toxin is a neurotoxin and can cause gastroenteritis and symptoms such as numbness, hot/cold reversal, itching and weakness. Rare cardiovascular symptoms such as very low heart rate and blood pressure are possible. Symptoms usually occur 3-6 hours after consumption and may last from days to months. Therapy is usually supportive and may require hospitalization. If you do catch a large homeguard fish you might want to check to see if Ciguatera toxin is present. Fortunately there now is a commercial test kit available to check for Ciguatera toxin.

So what are some rules of the road to avoid some of these infections/conditions? Try these:

1) Make sure your fish  has been handled correctly (prevents Scombroid poisoning). If possible freeze the raw flesh to decrease the likelihood of ingesting viable parasites. Stay away from raw salmon unless it has been frozen, smoked or farm raised (I rarely eat raw salmon). Don't experiment with consuming new types of raw fish, especially freshwater fish-you may
regret it later.

2) Be careful with homeguard or reef fishes, especially the larger individuals. If you do consume these fishes remember the symptoms of Ciguatera poisoning. A kit to check for Ciguatera is commercially available.

3) Consuming fast growing fish species or smaller individuals might be safer overall. If you have to consume bigger fishes just be aware of the symptoms.

4) Remember symptoms may occur many hours or days after consumption. If you do seek medical attention it's always advisable to tell the health care provider about your consumption of fish/shellfish.

5) Remember most of these conditions are unusual. But remember this knowledge may help you, a family member or a friend in the future.

6) Does knowing all this stop me from eating sashimi/sushi or other cooked fish? In a word: NOPE.

Hope this info helps. Again this info is not necessarily to be considered complete. Be careful out there and consult your own physician if you have any questions.

Paul P. Carnes, M.D., AKA Pablo

[I met Paul via the Internet nearly as soon as I opened up the tackle sales end of things.   Paul lives in Oklahoma, and was my first customer from that State.  He surprised me with his knowledge of fishing (purchasing Newell reels no less), and takes several long range trips annually.  He didn't always live out in Oklahoma, but is another transplanted Californian originating from San Diego.  You'll catch Paul popping up on message boards every now and then.  If you see a post from Pablo, let him know you appreciate his articles - lots of good info!  Maybe if we're nice to him, he'll zap over a picture of some nematode for this article.  Okay, now, lets all have some sashimi!]

Hit Counter



Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to [CompanyEmail].
Copyright 2002 [CompanyName]. All rights reserved.
Last modified: 06/09/13.